Friday, October 07, 2005

English and C

Somebody I know gave an interesting hypothesis. Good English language (or, maybe, any language) skills go hand-in-hand with good programming skills. Though I have not put this to rigorous test, I have reasons to believe that this is true.

Programming is nothing but communicating to the computer. Language is a way to communicate to people. Every good programmer knows that its not syntax but capability to design the, well, communique which makes her program a success; Shakespeare would vouch.

So, maybe, a programmer would be greatly helped by reading literature. And a good programmer should be able to communicate to people as well.

Maybe some of us just find computers to be better company!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well, the differences are rather gross Manish.
1. You need to speak english, not programming language.
2. Well, its difficult to have a validator for english because of the shear wastness, programming language doesn't have a systax without validation (compilation errors :) ).

The point I am driving at is that a good programmer need not be a good communicator all the time. And beleive me, I know so many of them. I hope this will help you get some more good programmers.